农历新年终于到了 Finally….Chinese New Year is here
Time flies…..we are going to celebrate Chinese New Year Eve tomorrow. Usually it is a time when the whole family (including all extended family members) having a reunion dinner together. With the increasing individualistic value and extended family disappearing rapidly, the younger generations may not see the significance of this event.
Do you know? For most of elderly family members, this is a day they have been looking forward for the entire year. This is especially true when most of their children and grand children are staying away from them for the rest of the year.
他们殷切盼望见到你们 They are looking forward to seeing you…………….
Last Sunday’s church service, brother Earn Soo shared a touching video about how the elderly are looking forward to seeing their loved ones to spend time with them. I found it on Youtube and downloaded it here in my Blog for you to view it again.
In our busy schedule and chasing after our dreams, we can always forget the longing of the elderly family members, especially when we are not staying with them – out of sight out of mind.
我知道老人家都比较唠叨。你发觉他们有时不可理喻，甚至很自我中心。最近我才想到自己是婴孩时也是自我中心，似乎每天太阳升起就为了我，父母必需照顾到我的一切需要。中国有句俗话说：“老人如三岁” 你记得三岁的时候，父母是如何照顾你的身体和心灵的需要吗？他们无怨无悔，不会因为你不断需要注意力，无理取闹而大发雷霆。可是。当我们长大了（他们也老了），我们就对他们一时间需要关注而厌烦，无可忍受。我的儿子曾经开玩笑跟我和妻说：“你们必须照顾我，因为我是你们的骨肉。”那么，为什么儿孙就不能因为同样的理由来照顾他们的父母和祖父母 – 他们也是我们的骨肉啊！
I know old people can be long-winded. You may find them not understanding and self-centred. I was just reminded that how we, when we were babies, have been so self centred and thinking that the sun rises in the morning because of ME, my parents have to give ME all the attention when I am in needs. A Chinese proverb says, “Old people are like 3 years old” (老人如三岁）. Do you remember how your parents are meeting all your physical and emotional needs when you were 3 years old? They didn’t complain or got angry over your cry for help and seeking attention ALL THE TIME. However, once we grow up (and they grow old), we can be so annoying and intolerable over their ways of seeking our attention and approval at times. My son used to say in a joking manner to Julia and I, “I am your fresh and blood, so you are to take care of me.” Yes, parents are to take care of their children because they are their fresh and blood. Why wouldn’t children and grandchildren look after their parents and grandparents for the same reason – they are our fresh and blood?
6个享受农历新年的温馨提醒 6 reminders for everyone to enjoy a great CNY……….
I would like to encourage all of us who are going to spend time with our parents and grandparents to remember the following points:
- 孝敬你们的父母和祖父母 – 找机会与他们交谈，分享你们的生活 Honor your parents and grandparents – spend time to speak to them and share your lives with them
- 爱是恒久忍耐，又有恩慈 – 请给他们多一点耐心，即使同样的故事他们已经讲过几千遍 – 因为他们也许也忘记他们讲过了。Love is patient and kind – Be patient with them although they may repeat the same old stories a thousand and one time – they probably forget they have told you
- 让你口中的话有“盐” – 请对你的家人说恩慈和祝福的话语。Season your words with salt – say words of grace and blessings to family members
- 与兄弟姐妹和亲戚和平相处 – 长辈最痛心的就是看见幼辈们无法和谐相处 – 农历新年可以是彼此和好和互相饶恕的好日子。Live in peace and harmony with siblings and relatives – it hurts the elderly most when they see their children not getting along – CNY is a good season for reconciliation and mutual forgiving each other in the family
- 不可比较，杜绝嫉妒 – 亲戚家人之间不要彼此比较。 我们常会比较家庭收入，名誉地位，房车，首饰，孩子的成就等等 -为了家庭的和谐，我们刻意不要比较。 DO NOT compare, No jealousy – Among the relatives – please do not compare. We tend to compare things like family earning power, Datukship and other titles, cars, jeweleries, children’s accomplishments…….For the sake of family peace and harmony, we intentionally do not compare.
- 用我们的态度，行为和语言分享神的爱的救恩 – 家人相信他们看见和经历的多过你口沫横飞的分享 – 在这农历新年里，我们来做光做盐吧！Share God’s love and message of salvation by your attitudes, deeds and words – Family members believe what they see and experience from interacting with you more than what you say – Be salt and light in your family this CNY
在平常的日子里也回家看看 Visit them not only in festive season………
Chinese New Year is a time of family reunion. Most of us travel back to hometown to visit our elderly parents and grandparents. Let us also make it a point to visit them in ordinary days when we are available to do so. This is a beautiful song which encourage young ones to go home and visit their elderly family members. Do you like it?
Finally let me wish all my friends a blessed and meaningful Chinese New Year – May the God of love and peace be with you always in this CNY and many days ahead.